Born in Milano in 1962
First published work: 1978
Highest Academic degree: degree in Painting at Milano's Brera Academy of Fine Arts (1985).
1988 Fulbright scholarship to attend a course of specialization in Illustration at Art Center College of Design - Pasadena, Ca - U.S.A. 1988/89.
Now I live in Milano sharing a studio with qualified colleagues Giorgio Campioni, Sabrina Stefanini, Sara Migneco, Agostino Cera and Fabio Delvò.
Since 2010 I have started a parallel artistic career which often takes me to Taiwan R.O.C. to exhibit my works.
Member of the Italian Illustrators Association's Board of Directors since 1992
President of the Italian Illustrators Association 2001-2005 www.autoridimmagini.it
President of EIF 2011-2013 (now Board member) - European Illustrators Forum, an organization including all major European Illustrators associations www.european-illustrators-forum.com
Grimm Press, Yuan Liou, Tian Xia and Cinken - Taiwan, Charlesbridge Publishing- USA, Carthusia Edizioni, Mondadori, Sperling & Kupfer, Cideb-Black Cat, PBM, De Agostini, EDT, Marsilio - Italy, and others. My books have been published and re-published in Taiwan, USA, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Israel, Brasil, China and Italy.
Non Governmental Organisations
WWF, Emergency, Action Aid, the Jane Goodall Institute - Taiwan, The United Euro Bridge - UK, FuBon Art Foundation - Taiwan, AIL - Italian Leukemia Association, LILA - Italian AIDS Association, Animal Amnesty and others.
I have collaborated with a few advertising companies in Italy and Taiwan in the making of short animations for TV and web, for clients such as Henkel, Bostik and Fubu store and worked on some personal projects now visible on Youtube.
• Teacher of introduction to professional practices in visual communication at Milano's IED European Design Institute - since 2005
• Teacher of Conceptual Illustration at Milano's European Design Institute since 2004
• Professional counselor and advisor for the Italian Association of Illustrators AI since 2009
• Speaker on professional issues and fair practices for authors and illustrators at Bologna Children's Book Fair for the Italian Illustrators Association and the European Illustrators Forum since 2004.
• Special LYRA-FILA Award for best image made in traditional techniques, AI Annual 2017;
• Gold Medal Award in the "Self-promotion" section of AI Annual 2016;
• Gold Medal Award in the "Exhibitions" section of AI Annual 2015;
• Award for the video "Where do we go from here" on Vimeo, Sept. 2014;
• Second Prize at the International Illustration Competition "Colourful Rights - We are the future" 2014;
• First Prize at the international illustration competition "Beyond the line" 2010;
• Special Mention at the international illustration competition Bimbi Volanti (Flying Kids) 2008;
• Junior Library Guild 2009 for my book "Galileo and the Leaning Tower experiment" Charlesbridge Publishing, US;
• Italian Illustration Awards, Annual 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017;
• Second Prize at the International Illustration Competition Torino City of Culture 2002;
• MEDIASTARS Prize 1996 for best billboard advertising illustration for NEC;
• Best Editorial Illustration Award Annual 2 - 1995;
• Special award for the illustration competition "Coop: 150 years' co-operation" 1995;
• Twice selected for the Bologna Children's Book Fair in 1999-2000.
Some of my works have been displayed in various exhibitions in Italy, France, Greece, Cuba, Hungary, England, USA, Iran and Taiwan. A few works are now part of private collections and one is included in the collection of the Granatieri di Sardegna Historical Museum in Rome.
Recent exhibitions include:
2017 - Annual Illustratori 2017 - Laboratorio Formentini, Milano (ce)
• “Yún fēitiān – Flying Clouds” – Arts Dot 2, Taichung, Taiwan (ce)
• “168” - Xianheng Hall Gallery, Taichung, Taiwan
• “グループ展 Kajiu-ou the Monster King", Livorno, Italy (ce)
• Future Printmaking “AHM Gallery, Taipei“ Taiwan (ce)
• Diritti a Colori “Fondazione Malagutti“ Sala Borsa, Bologna (ce)
2016 “Island”, “島”– Let’s Art Gallery, Puli, Taiwan
• Coincidences (巧 合) - Xianheng Hall Gallery, Taichung, Taiwan
• Educa (ce) “Palazzo Istruzione“ Rovereto
• Milano Postcards (ce) - Spazio Lambrate, Milan
2015 - HOME? - 翊綺藝術 - White Cube Cafe', Changhua - Taiwan
• IMAGES for CLIMATE! - Associazione Autori di Immagini FB page (ce)
• Monkey business - Open Box Art Stage, Taichung, Taiwan
• HOME? - 翊綺藝術 - Let's Art Gallery - Puli - Taiwan
• Cartografie dell'Immaginario (ce) - Pad. Chiarini Carletti, La Quercia, Viterbo
2014 - Diritti a Colori (ce) - Casa Mantegna - Mantua
• Brand Art (ce) - Palazzo Isimbardi - Milan
• Where do I dream? - Open Box Art Gallery, Taichung - Taiwan
• Flights of Fancy - YouYishu Art Gallery - Puli - Taiwan
• Rione Cassero...in comics! (ce) - Palazzo Gentili Spinola, Foligno
• Grimm Press (a retrospective) - National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts - Taichung, Taiwan
• Art or Craft or somewhere in between? - Hsiuping University of Science and Technology - Dali, Taichung, Taiwan
2013 - Diritti a Colori (ce) - Palazzo Te' - Mantua
• Annual Illustratori 2013 (ce) - Sala San Leonardo, Cannaregio - Venice
• Aerial Inspiration - Open Box Art Gallery, Taichung - Taiwan - Paolo Rui at Musterring Store - Taichung Taiwan
• Equilibrium - Anadema Hair Stylists - Milan
2012 - Occasional Dimorphisms - Anadema - Milan
• Annual Illustratori 2012 (ce) - Sala San Leonardo, Cannaregio - Venice
• Movements - Open Box Art Gallery - Taichung, Taiwan
• Traveller's metamorphosis (ce) - Stelline Art Gallery - Milan
2011 - Milano in Bilico (Milan on the wobble) - Spazio Arte Tolomeo - Milan
• Open Box (ce) - Open Box Art Gallery - Taichung, Taiwan
• Annual Illustratori 2011 (ce) - NABA - Milan - 'Flight' - 4 artists live painting performance - Milan
• Made in Taiwan (ce) - La Cornice bookstore - Cantu', Italy
2010 - Paolo Rui - Canottieri Milano Sport Club - Milan
• TNAU Exhibition (ce) “Taiwan New Arts Union Gallery“ Tainan, Taiwan
• Annual Illustratori 2010 (ce) - Hoepli Bookstore - Milan
(ce) - Collective exhibition